1.06.2011

A Bit of Plane Knitting

Hello!!

With our family 3000 miles away, we spend a fair amount of time on airplanes.  Now that Hannah is older and can entertain herself more during the flights, I decided to take the plunge and try knitting on the plane.  I had some bamboo/wool blend yarn that I bought in Maine last summer, and I thought it was time to put it to good use. 

There is a pattern series on Ravelry that was inspired by the TV show Bones.  This is one of my favorite shows, so when I saw the pattern for the Saroyan shawl, I knew it was the one I wanted to try with my yarn. 

So far, I LOVE this pattern!!!  It is so easy, and so beautiful!!!  In all honesty, I didn't get much done on the plane, not because Hannah was being a pain, but because I wasn't feeling 100%.  You'd think that my stomach would have gotten used to flying after all these years, but I still get queasy from time to time.  I did get to work on it quite a bit during the holidays, and I plan on finishing it up after I get a head start on some baby knitting I have to do. 

I love the leaf edging, and the fact that you can customize the length by simply adding repeats.  Instead of the suggested 6 increase repeats, I did 9.  I also plan on adding 3 additional straight repeats and decrease ones.  I love that the pattern helps you gauge how much yarn each section needs by percentage, so you can try to avoid the dreaded "run out".  I cannot wait to finish this up...I think it will be coming with me on the plane when we go to Florida next month, and if I can get my butt in gear, I might even be able to model it down there!!!



Wish me luck!!!
Cheers!
Sharon

1 comment:

Karla said...

Neat pattern. LOVE the color too!