9.18.2011

Baby Knitting and a Big Announcement!!

Hello All-

So early yesterday morning, my big brother and my wonderful sister-in-law had a baby!!!  I am so happy for them and our Christmas trip home to New England cannot come fast enough!!!

In several posts, I mentioned that I was knitting some goodies that I couldn't share just yet.  Well, now that the little guy has arrived, I can share what I made for them.

First up is this little number I made to honor my brother's obsession with the Red Sox.  I call is "Little Slugger", and I used the Presto Chango pattern and did a stockinette panel.  Then I used a chart and duplicate stitched the "B".  I tried doing colorwork, but it ended up pulling too tightly and looked awful. 

I also made a second panel in moss stitch for the off-season. 

To match the set, I made a plain baby hat with the same moss stitch edge.  I think it all came out quite well.


Next, I made this pullover that I call, Shades of Blue.  The yarn I used was Berroco Ultra Alpaca Tonal, and it knit like a dream!!!  I plan to use this same yarn for another project soon!!!

I thought this one was the cutest thing when I knit it up.  I have to see if I took any photos of it with the wooden buttons I put on it.  I have had the Cascade Yarns Lana D'oro Tweed in my stash for ages now and it has always screamed "Grandpa Sweater" to me.  So, that's what I made!!
These next two sweaters I made a while back and sent them to my brother when they first announced that they were expecting. 

I don't know why I love making mini versions of old man sweaters, but to me they are the cutest thing on baby boys!!
Finally, here's the project I am the most proud of.  Years ago I was given my Memere's prized sewing machine.  In an attempt to learn how to use it, I pieced together the top to a quilt, perfect for a baby boy.  I even had denim cut to size for the back.  The problem?  Once I got it pieced, I had no idea how to quilt it.  Fast forward to this summer.  My Mom visited us in Calgary, and I thought she might be able to show me how to finish the quilt so I could send it to my brother. 

We worked at it for a few days and sure enough, with my Mom's help, I learned how to tie and bind a quilt!!  This project means so much since there are three generations involved.  My brother and my Memere were always quite close, so I know that he appreciates the connection to her.
So there you have it.  A whole bunch of projects that were all made for Baby Tyler.  Welcome to the family little guy!!!

Happy Crafting!
Sharon

No comments: