1.22.2011

Creamed Corn that doesn't come from a can? Say it aint so!

Hello All!

As I mentioned in a previous post, we recently purchased Chef Thomas Keller's cookbook, "ad hoc at home."  The recipes are classic dishes that don't have a lot of fuss and muss...just my style!  From what I have read through so far, he really goes the extra step to not only present a great recipe, but also to teach the reader how to make it.  There are a lot of photos and tutorials included, which I love!!!  I'll be honest, this isn't an inexpensive book, but I know it will prove it's value with how much use we get out of it. 

The first recipe that we tried was the Creamed Summer Corn.  I had never eaten creamed corn that wasn't from a can, so this was an interesting concept for me. 

Hubby ended up making this by himself since I had to step away from the kitchen for a bit.  I didn't hear any cursing, and he mentioned how he would make it again, so I'd have to say that it was likely pretty straightforward to make.  All I can say is, "WOW"!  The corn was great!!!  It has some cayenne in it, so you'll have to adjust that to your liking.  I actually liked the bit of heat it created.  We paired it with some pretty simple stuff, since I was out all day with Hannah and knew I wouldn't have much time to cook.  So, we had it with boneless pork chops (Hannah picked them out...she insisted that we have Shake and bake for dinner!), jasmine rice, and my Mother-in-Law's Peach Sauce.  Delicious all around!!

Sorry for the messy plate...I wasn't originally planning on taking a photo of it!
I ended up buying shrink wrapped corn at Walmart for this recipe, and it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  Hubby and I decided that this would be an awesome way to use up some leftover corn in the summer.  We always cook way more than we can eat and we end up feeding most of it to the composter.  I think I'll be cutting all of the leftover corn off the cobs and saving it throughout the week to make this dish on the weekends.  I am also looking into ways to freeze our summer corn so we can have creamed corn in the winter months too. 

Stay tuned for many more recipe reviews from this cookbook.  We have our eyes on the Chicken Pot Pie, Cod, Scallops...oh, the list goes on and on!!!

Cheers!
Sharon

No comments: