6.16.2011

Fresh from the Oven: Ice Cream Bread


Hello All-

Here's another quicky recipe that will surely become a family favorite.  I had been seeing a recipe for Ice Cream Bread all over the web and I had to give a try. Hmmm…softened ice cream and self-rising flour? That’s it? It was too good to be true. I didn’t have either item in the pantry at the time, so off to the store we went. After much deliberation, we decided on Maple Walnut ice cream. The "Hungry Housewife" who shared the recipe online used Butter Pecan and said it was delicious as well.

This is a great recipe to try when you go grocery shopping and get home to find that your ice cream has started to soften up. If yours needs a bit of help melting, simply let it sit on the counter for a bit…or do what I did, put it in a glass bowl and let it sit on the stove top while the oven preheated…perfectly softened ice cream in no time!


I must say that this bread is delicious and just as easy as it claims to be! In 45 minutes we had slightly sweetened bread with a hint of maple flavor. I wish that more of the maple had come through though. I am anxious to try a stronger flavored ice cream, such as mint chocolate chip, to see if that makes a difference. In the meantime, we are gobbling ours down with some of my homemade apple-cinnamon butter on top. The two work together perfectly! This bread is a great sweet breakfast treat or dessert. The simplicity of it makes it a great go-to recipe for last-minute get-togethers. No one will ever believe what it is made of!

Happy Baking!!
Sharon

No comments: