7.06.2011

Fresh from the Oven: Banana Ice Cream

Hello All-

I recently stumbled across a recipe that was begging me to try it...I mean, it has one ingredient, so how could I say no??  What is this magic recipe??  Banana Ice Cream!!  I found the recipe online thanks to Pinterest, and it looked too good to be true!

In the summer, I find it hard to balance not having the oven on all the time, while also trying to find semi-nutritious desserts for the family.  It is so easy to fall into the sugary black hole of refreshing summer treats.  This recipe is the perfect response to the black hole.  You have the benefit of ice cream flavor and texture, while being super healthy. 

In a nutshell, here's how you make it...

First, you get 4 ripe bananas.  The more ripe, the more banana flavor you'll get.  Peel them and slice them into coins.  Place the coins on a cookie sheet (I lined mine with parchment) and place them in the freezer for no less than 2 hours.

Once they are frozen, place the coins into your food processor.

Start blending the bananas and occasionally scrape down the edges.  Before you get ice cream, you'll have banana "gravel".  I'm tempted to stop at this point some time for a topping on regular ice cream...yummy!!!

Keep blending and scraping, and soon you will see the yummy fruit whipping itself into ice cream!!

For some extra flavor, we added a spoonful of peanut butter, though my hubby thought it would be better plain (he isn't much of a banana and PB fan).  Other options would be cocoa powder, Nutella, chopped nuts, or hubby's suggested strawberry slices. 

I added a dollop of homemade whipped cream and some sprinkles on the top, and my 4-year old couldn't tell the difference!!!  She was so excited to be having ice cream and she loved the flavor!! 

I put all of the leftovers in a resealable container and popped it back in the freezer.  The banana flavor intensified after it had been frozen, but it was still easy enough to scoop.  I found that 4 average sized bananas made about a pint of ice cream. 

This recipe is great to use up ripe bananas, to have a healthy treat on hand, or for those who have dairy allergies.  The banana base is quite versatile and I can't wait to try new flavor combinations.



Happy Summer and Happy Eating!
Sharon

2 comments:

Karla said...

Sounds yummy! I love banana!! I need a food processor (no where to put one!).

Sharon G said...

Karla- I'm not sure if it would work, but a blender might do the trick too. I would pulse it rather than let it go...it might heat the banana too much and make it mushy and not whipped. Let me know if you try it!