8.15.2011

Fresh from the Oven: Sopapilla Cheesecake

Hey Everyone!!

Man, I have been awful about blogging this summer!!  Between selling the house, having hubby 3 hours away and therefor being on "Mommy Duty" 24/7, I have been pretty drained!!  I'd love to say that free time is opening up in my schedule, but now that the house is sold, we are flooded with moving "stuff" and house hunting.  I can't wait until we are all settled in one city, as a family, in a new home.

Anyways, now that the house is officially sold, I can start trashing my kitchen again!!!  No more quick clean up projects in case of last minute showings.

The first creation Hannah and I made to celebrate being able to fully use the kitchen was Sopapilla Cheesecake.  I saw a photo of this on Pinterest, big surprise, and I had to try it.  I had never heard of it, though in the last week a friend of mine in Texas was making the same thing.  Man, have I been missing out!!

The recipe is quite simple, Pillsbury crescent rolls, cream cheese, sugar, butter, and cinnamon.  That's it!!  And I must say, this dessert is not only addicting, I put it in the dangerous category!!!  I ate so much one night that I actually felt ill!!  (Good ill, as in, I ate more the next day!!)

After making it, I do have a few tips...

First, keep your crescent dough cold right up until you are ready to use it.  Once it starts heating up, it gets gummy and hard to work with.

Next. you could cut back a bit on the cream cheese.  I used 2 full bricks, but it would be just as good with a touch less.  Just be sure that you scale back on the sugar.

I used my food processor to mix the cream cheese vanilla and sugar.  It did a great job whipping it all up so it was super easy to spread.

I used a 9x12 pan.  It worked nicely...I would use this one again for sure!!

The amount of butter that it calls for is way too much!!  You could easily cut the amount in half and still have plenty. 

I baked mine for 20 minutes even and it came out perfect!!

A reader of the blog I saw this recipe posted on suggested making a banana/rum mixture for the top.  As I was eating it, I thought that some apples would go really well with it.  Maybe next time...

This is great hot or cold!!  I put it in the fridge after we ate half sampled it out of the oven.  Hannah liked it warm, so 10 seconds in the microwave did the trick. 

Be sure to invite lots of friends over to help you eat this!!  Hannah and I ended up eating all of it and my waistline will never forgive me!!

I plan on making this many more times.  It was easy and so delicious!!!  A perfect combination in my mind!

Happy Baking!!
Sharon

No comments: