3.30.2012

Growing Spomething from Nothing

Hello All!!

As you know from my last post, we are anxiously awaiting Mother Nature to get with the program and "make" it Spring here in Edmonton.  Since patience is not one of my strengths, I have gotten an early start on Spring by growing some veggies inside.  these are a bit unique though...they are grown from scraps, not seeds.  Pretty cool, huh??

I first saw the idea to grow new veggies from old veggies a while back on Pinterest.  I even blogged about it here.  Well, things have taken off a bit and I would call this project a success!! 

Here are a few of the things I've grown:

First up, here's an update on the green onions I posted about a while back.  Once they got to be good sized, I planted them in some dirt.  They were getting so tall that I thought the stability would do them some good.  They are growing fantastic!!  As soon as they get too tall and flop over, I give them a haircut and they are good to go.  I take the portion that I cut off and with my kitchen scissors, I cut them into usable pieces.  I then add them to a jar I have in the freezer.  This is a great way to store green onions!!  You simply toss in the pieces, and then when you need some for cooking, you shake a few out!  They thaw instantly in warm food, so they are ready to go anytime! 

Next is my celery.  I simply chopped off a bit of the root end and placed it in a dish of water an inch or so deep.  within days I saw growth popping out of the center.  I left it in water for two weeks or so, changing the water at least every other day.  Once it had some established growth, I planted it in a pot.  Now, it is taking off and getting more and more lush every day!  I can't wait to get it outside for some warmth and sunshine. 

Finally, here is one more veggie that I actually just started today.  It seems as though this method of sprouting will work with most any veggie that has a strong core with roots.  So, I had some past-its-prime Romaine in the fridge and I'm going to see how it does.  I just put it in water this morning, so I'll keep you posted on how it does.

So, what is the lesson to be learned?  You can grow something from nothing.  You don't need expensive seeds or seedlings to have home grown veggies.  It also takes minimal work for maximum results...my kind of gardening!!!

Happy Planting!
Sharon

2 comments:

Myrna said...

I'm totally doing that!! Thanks for the idea!!

Diana Stinn, Phoenix Foundation said...

Going to try this!